For those who don’t know what Quidditch is: it’s a magical sport in the fantastic Harry Potter universe created by the writer J. K. Rowling. It is played on a flying broom, on an oval field in which three circles are placed at the end, similar to rugby.
Balls with different peculiarities are present in the field:
- The Quaffle, red leather ball that is used to score points by passing it through one of the three circles at the end of the field.
- The Bludgers, iron balls that serve to hinder players and even unravel them to make the game more difficult.
- Our dear Golden Snitch, a magical winged ball of very small size and very fast in movements. If captured it gives the right to 150 points, declaring the victory of the team.
Seven players are needed for each team:
- 3 Chasers, with the task of launching the Quaffle into the opponent’s rings.
- 2 Bathers, engaged in the defence of his companions from the Bludgers. They are armed with a bat and sometimes they can use the Bludgers to their advantage by directing them towards the players of the rival team.
- 1 Keeper, with the aim of defending their rings from the quaffle pitched by the other team.
- 1 Seeker, tasked with chasing and grabbing the elusive Golden Snitch.
The most complete book on Quidditch is the pseudobiblion (a book that doesn’t really exist but is mentioned in a real book)”The Quidditch through the ages” later written for charitable purposes by J. K. Rowlins in 2001.
There is also a “Muggle” (people without magical powers and often unaware of the magical presence in the world) version of Quidditch in the real world. Since 2005, Vermont’s Middlebury College has been playing it as a sport in all respects and spread it to an almost global level, with tournaments and championships. So if your dream has always been to play, in a way, you might be able to make it happen! For more information, you can take a look at Quidditch page on Wikipedia, where you can also find some international teams.
But to capture the Golden Snitch it is not necessary to play Quidditch, nor to chase it for long and wide. Simply go to my Shop on-line and choose the version you prefer the most, among the Earings or Phone Strap. To create them I used ceramic beads, which thanks to their shine reproduce the effects of the Golden Snitch. Share your passion for Harry Potter with me and the rest of the world with these articles, and if you haven’t yet entered the magic world of Harry Potter, what better time to do so?